Buyer Behavior
To try to determine my "buyer's behavior" I interview three people in my target market, specifically in the segment of the need for temporary work rather than permanent unemployed persons. The three people I interview all are out of work due to coronavirus and the current pandemic rules and will eventually return to work in their subsequent fields. After 15-20 minute interviews with each of these individuals here are my findings:
How does one search for jobs?
- Friends and family connections
- Newspaper postings
- LinkedIn
- Online ads
How did you become aware of your need?
- Since only essential businesses were allowed to stay open I have been out of work (all responses)
- I cannot support my family like I used to
- Stay at home orders were extended (multiple times)
Would you be willing to give a percentage of your profits in order to have a job?
- Mixed reviews on this question because it would matter how much money we were taking per paycheck. This is a factor that is missing in our business model. We need to come up with a system in which people are still enticed to share their earnings with us or we will have no business.
These were the questions that I got the most useful answers out of. I learned that a major portion of my business model would need to be figured out in order for us to make a profit while also keeping customers. My interviewees all exclaimed that they would be interested if overtime the percentage that we take gets smaller it would act as a catalyst for people to stay with us for longer instead of going back to their previous job. I would consider instituting a policy that we take 10% of earnings within your first 10 days of work. As the time you log with us increases, the percentage of earnings we keep decreases, making it worth your money to stay with us. I also learned that a lot of people can find jobs through word of mouth such as friends and family which greatly hurts our potential business. People will not be willing to pay us if their family can set them up with a job. This is an external factor that we have no control of. I also found that many people are becoming more aware of the need for work as the economy is still crashing.
I find this concept interesting. A more formal term for this idea is 'human capital contracts.' I had always thought that this type of financial instrument or agreement must be unenforceable, but it seems that it could be legally binding if set up properly. I once thought, 'If I could sell a portion of my future earnings for $1m today, would I do it?' I wonder how this business targeting lower-paying jobs would stand up to free career centers' services.
ReplyDelete